Set up Discourse on ubuntu 14.04 x64
1. Install Git
apt-get install git
2. Install Docker
wget -qO- https://get.docker.io/ | sh
sudo usermod -aG docker andy
3. Install Discourse
3.1 Create a /var/docker folder:
3.2 Clone the Official Discourse Docker Image into this /var/docker folder:
git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/docker
3.3 Switch to your Docker folder:
3.4 Copy the samples/standalone.yml file into the containers folder as app.yml:
cp samples/standalone.yml containers/app.yml
4. Edit Discourse Configuration
4.1 Edit the Discourse configuration at app.yml:
We recommend Nano because it works like a typical GUI text editor, just use your arrow keys.
* Set DISCOURSE_DEVELOPER_EMAILS to your email address.
* Set DISCOURSE_HOSTNAME to discourse.example.com, this means you want your Discourse available at https://www.service-labs.com/. You’ll need to update the DNS A record for this domain with the IP address of your server.
* Place your mail credentials in DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS, DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT, DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME, DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD. Be sure you remove the comment # character and space from the front of these lines as necessary.
* If you are using a 1 GB instance, set UNICORN_WORKERS to 2 so you have more memory room.
5. Bootstrap Discourse
./launcher bootstrap app
This command can take up to 8 minutes. It is automagically configuring your Discourse environment.
After that completes, start Discourse:
./launcher start app
Congratulations! You now have your own instance of Discourse!